How To Start SEO For New Websites
You just launched a great-looking site with all the technical SEO in place. But Google is yet to come knocking. This is a familiar situation for most businesses with a new website. A successful website launch is only half the battle; getting your website to rank is a whole battle in itself. So, how to start SEO for ranking new websites? What are the tactics that you will need to focus on? Our battle-hardened SEO team in Perth answer these questions for you.
How to start SEO for new websites
Search engines want to give users relevant content. How do they determine relevancy? Through the content, the legitimacy of the website and user experience. So, SEO should aim to enhance these factors. Let’s go through some of the most vital SEO steps to make your websites search engine-friendly.
1. Choose an on-brand domain name
Select a suitable, identifiable domain name for your website. When you’re looking through your options, keep the following in mind:
- Spelling matters. It should be easy to spell your domain name. If it can be misspelled easily, people might miss it. Make sure that the domain name is short and easy to remember.
- Don’t underestimate branding. People tend to trust a company with a companyname.com link over a keyword-keyword.com link. Branded domains are a beneficial tool for increasing your visibility. It improves the authority of your website and increases the value of your content.
- Keywords are important. While having keywords in your domain name isn’t necessary anymore, registering the domain with a primary keyword won’t hurt.
2. Get the first external link
Search engines, Google mainly, follows links to find content. If another site doesn’t link to yours, your website wouldn’t be visible on Google. While you can get your site indexed by submitting in the Google Search Console, ranking doesn’t work like that. External links add value to your website – they tell Google that your site is trustworthy enough to be linked to. One of the first steps to do when working on SEO for a new website is to get at least one external link. If your site doesn’t show up in search pages even after linking, check the settings. If the settings are on noindex or are blocked by robots.txt, change them.
3. Craft high-quality content
4. Do keyword research
Which brings us to the next point – Keywords. Content is the king who wouldn’t have a kingdom to rule without keywords. Before creating content for your website, do keyword research and note down the most relevant keywords in your niche. You can’t create content unless you know what your audience needs.
5. Refine your snippets
6. Optimise the source code
Content writing is important, but so is the website’s source code. You have to optimise the code to ensure that search engines read your content. This mainly includes the following:
- Create SEO-friendly URLshttps://codesquad.cloud/how-to-create-seo-friendly-urls/
- Use canonical tags
- Make good use of meta description tags and heading tags
- Add alt tags for images etc.
- Employ interlinking
7. Follow consistent link building
Search intent: Search intent refers to the purpose of an online search query.
Google crawl: Crawling is the process by which Google finds new or updated pages to add to its site index.